Review — The Coppersmith Farmhouse ( Jamison Valley #1) by Devney Perry

One old farmhouse brought them together. It could also tear them apart.

Gigi has just uprooted her whole world to start a new life. The unexpected gift of a farmhouse in small-town Montana is just what she and her daughter need to escape big-city loneliness. The last thing she needs is attitude from the town’s sheriff, the most perfectly attractive and ruggedly handsome man she’s ever laid eyes on—and a complete jerk.

Jess knows all about women like Gigi. Beautiful. Sexy. Scheming. She’s stolen his sanctuary, the farmhouse that should have been his. But along with a face full of freckles, she’s got a sharp wit and a backbone of steel—something he doesn’t discover until after making a complete fool of himself. If he can earn back her trust and win her heart, he might just find the home he’s always needed.


I am legit ADDICTED to Devney Perry's books! They're SOOOOO good! I'm living in fear of finishing the Jamison Valley series because the hangover will be CRAZY and at the same time I love these characters so much! I can't wait to read their books and get even more attached to them. I love that about book series but it's been such a long time since I've felt like reading an entire series especially with interconnected standalones.

I have to admit that I would have read this book sooner if I didn't let some of the negative reviews influence me. I could have easily skipped it, it wouldn't have been the first time I've skipped a book in a series of standalones but I don't know, it felt SO wrong. That's how I realized how much book covers matter, these are so gorgeous you feel like you're disrespecting the author by not reading in order. They're really, really important that's why I don't care for book covers with sexy men, I can't believe I'm saying this but yeah I don't like them. I get the appeal but I'd rather see a beautiful shot of a couple ( the latest Kandi Steiner duet or A princess in theory by Alyssa Cole for example) or something more artistic that represent the book.  I'm a dreamer and book covers with sexy shirtless men are hot but they don't make me dream. They don't invite me in the characters' world and that's exactly what I love about these. Bloggers are raving about Perry's covers and I'm SURE it made a difference in term of paperback sales. I feel the same about music album covers and everything artistic. It matters, every detail matter and I can't wait to discover the cover art for her next book, Tattered, which will be unveiled at the end of this month!

So let's talk about the negative reviews and more precisely about Jess. Our hero has been criticized because of his behavior at the beginning of the book and because of his alpha tendencies. I cannot say that he didn't piss me off sometimes but i'm not gonna lie, I fell in love with him and I found him super endearing. Once he explained why he couldn't help but take care of everything, I just got it, it was a reasonable explanation. I never felt like he didn't respect Gigi, he never gave me the impression that her opinion didn't matter to him, just that when there was an issue he automatically took care of it because that's what he has been doing his entire life.
 I understood and I trusted him but most of all I trusted Gigi because she wasn't a pushover, she questioned his behavior and told him that it bothered her and it made me believe in their relationship and ultimately their HEA.

I adored Gigi, she was such a GREAT heroine, such a good mom. Her relationship with Rowen was so realistic and precious ! Rowen reminded me of my niece of the same age, I honest to god think she's the best written kid I've ever read. I love how important it was for Gigi to give her the best education. She reminded me of all of the single moms in my life, that put their kids first but still try to live their life as women and still believe in love.  I honestly enjoyed Gigi and Rowen's relationship as much as the romance between Jess and Gigi.
Jess had to earn their trust and when Gigi told him that Rowen was her life omg it was so sweet! Her unconditional love for her baby! I know that it's normal but it was beautiful.

I honestly don't know what's happening to me, I was craving dark, angsty books, I was looking for them and I found these instead and wow I think she's becoming a favorite author, I'm super excited to read more of her work.  Devney Perry has a way of writing things that's so simple and authentic. Her style is pure heart, there's no other way to describe it. She's so easy to read because she knows where she want to take her characters and she believes in them enough to communicate it to her readers. Her men are alpha but believe me when I say that they're NOT jerks. They're good men who love their heroines fiercely and most of all don't take them for granted. When Gigi told Jess she had worries about being the sheriff's girlfriend, Jess worked twice has hard because he didn't want his unsolved cases to ruin the foundation of their relationship. He was there, he was involved, he was committed and I loved it. This books is all i've been needing for MONTHS I can't believe I wasted so much time because of the criticism I've read. I respect the other reviewers and opinions but I'm glad it didn't keep me from reading this book and  forming my own.

These books are standalones even if they're interconnected so yes, technically, you could skip one or read them out of order. However, I don't recommend it because The Coppersmith Farmhouse is not just the first book, it really lays the foundation of the series, you meet the town's sheriff which is in my opinion an important figure and you kind of discover this town and the people through Gigi's eyes. You also get to meet other important characters that got their own book. I think this storyline is kind of continued in book three and the transition between the books is made at the end with the first appearance of the main characters of book 3.  I really doubt you'd have trouble following the story  if you don't read it in order though,  you would JUST miss the heart and magic of the series in my opinion but who cares about heart and magic ? hahaha
Just put some RESPECK on Perry's name and join me in my book marathon! I'm already halfway through The Clover Chapel and I am LOVING it so far!

5 stars!

You can buy a signed paperback and shop the series merchandise and book sleeves on the author's website : https://devneyperry.com/shop/



0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire